• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mauijim

mauijim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:50 PM

ok, ive GOT get my license back asap. "why" isnt that important, so i'll bore you with this: i was a professional fireman/paramedic for 12 years on a busy rescue unit. opened my own restaurant, got out the fire dept, and let my license expire 10 years ago.
my textbook is outdated, so i'd like some advice on the most current and best textbook to purchase.
other than that, i guess im just seeking advice from experienced users on here about what the best thing to do first on here is. i started taking one of the 'registry-like' paramedic tests, and about 70 questions into it, tried to go back. bad idea (i didnt know about the 'no going back' thing with the registry nowadays when i did that)--it looks like i lost all of my answers.
should i maybe take a couple or 3 tests, look for a pattern of deficiencies, then go to the textbook?
suggestions, anyone?

#2 NorCal EMTP

NorCal EMTP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

Mauijim, it's going to be difficult to pass the test. A lot has changed in the last ten years. I would start learning medications and get recertified in ACLS, PALS, ITLS, and AMLS. All of these classes can be taken over a two day period, for each course. But I would study the book for at least a week then take the course. After that I would buy the Brady book series on paramedicine. It usually comes in a series of five books. There are going to be a lot of questions on the national registry exam that are based off the Brady books. I'm a proctor for national registry skills tests and every once in awhile we will see a former paramedic testing. All I can say is that the kids going through the programs now are trained to pass the test, so national registry has made it tricky to pass if you base everything off what you do in real life. I would give yourself at least a month for the short term classes and then another month or two to tackle the Brady books. I don't know of anyone that has just taken practice tests to pass the written. Good luck.

#3 wfrdwfrd

wfrdwfrd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

Get your hands on protocols from a progressive agency and study them in addition to the Brady. Retake NIMS 100-900 and study EMS operations.