• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 martybemt

martybemt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

I just joined this site and subscribed yesterday, I am so far very discouraged and disapointed, I am supposed to test on the 20th of april and ALOT of the questions here arent even in my books cause I looked up the answers when I didn't understand the words or terminology. This worries me because I don't know if its just the way they are wording things here or if this is what I can expect on the big test. Some of the questions almost seem to be emt I or paramedic level and I am testing for basic. I had a 98.9% gpa when I graduated from school i am getting 50's, 60's and 70's-100's on the specific area questions. When I am looking it up to see if I just missed it somewhere along the way and its NOT there it cant be me anyone got any input or suggestions??? angry.gif

#2 ScottR

ScottR

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

This site will definitely challenge you. That is the goal. It isn't supposed to be just like your class, it is supposed to get you used to seeing material and information that you can be tested over in a different format. Use the computer to look up words you don't know or understand. Wikipedia usually has a good description of things that reads easily. The questions on this site are compiled from multiple textbooks, EMS magazines, and medical journals. Over the 24,000+ users who have used this site we have found that those who consistently get in the high 80's and up on their overall scores for each category have the highest success rate. We have also had many users who were top of their class who didn't use this site the first attempt at the NREMT and failed. They reported that they didn't learn some of this information in their class.

The questions on this site are based on the National Standard Curriculum published by the US DOT. We have tried to create questions that ask for the information in new and different ways than you may have seen in a class. Stick with it. Keep taking the tests and use them as a study aid. If you don't know an answer or understand a question, feel free to look it up online. We also encourage you to use our support desk to submit any questions or concerns you have about any specific question or problem. This allows us to answer you the most quickly and efficiently.

Good luck to you and keep up the studying!

Scott
Support Staff FF/Paramedic

#3 martybemt

martybemt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

Well I understand better now, I was trying not to look up anything and I was confused because I'm thinking if this is the way the questions are worded on the big test then if i haven't learned that terminology how would I be able to know the answer. Kinda like putting a scapel in your hand and telling you to do brain surgery is the feeling I was having, I get it now, still frustrating but I get it, thanks for the help so quickly I only have 10 days before I test, I appreciate the support and the cheer squad! But keep the AED standing by cause at this point I'll be pulseless and apneic by the time I'm done!

QUOTE (ScottR @ Apr 7 2010, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This site will definitely challenge you. That is the goal. It isn't supposed to be just like your class, it is supposed to get you used to seeing material and information that you can be tested over in a different format. Use the computer to look up words you don't know or understand. Wikipedia usually has a good description of things that reads easily. The questions on this site are compiled from multiple textbooks, EMS magazines, and medical journals. Over the 24,000+ users who have used this site we have found that those who consistently get in the high 80's and up on their overall scores for each category have the highest success rate. We have also had many users who were top of their class who didn't use this site the first attempt at the NREMT and failed. They reported that they didn't learn some of this information in their class.

The questions on this site are based on the National Standard Curriculum published by the US DOT. We have tried to create questions that ask for the information in new and different ways than you may have seen in a class. Stick with it. Keep taking the tests and use them as a study aid. If you don't know an answer or understand a question, feel free to look it up online. We also encourage you to use our support desk to submit any questions or concerns you have about any specific question or problem. This allows us to answer you the most quickly and efficiently.

Scott

#4 bernieb

bernieb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

ScottR - I read a post which indicated that you had a 100% pass rate - and you are right- instructors don;t teach how to pass the NREMT-B
Can you advise on the best way to prepare for this from your 100% pass rate experience. My son is losing confidence after taking this and
at wits end -he knows the book by heart but can't pass the test- any advice from your 100% experience with your classes would be
greatfully received

Bernieb

Scott

#5 ScottR

ScottR

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

ScottR - I read a post which indicated that you had a 100% pass rate - and you are right- instructors don;t teach how to pass the NREMT-B
Can you advise on the best way to prepare for this from your 100% pass rate experience. My son is losing confidence after taking this and
at wits end -he knows the book by heart but can't pass the test- any advice from your 100% experience with your classes would be
greatfully received

Bernieb

I'm not sure which post you are talking about with 100%. Our EMT Intermediate-85 program at our school had a 100% pass rate for the last 2 years, however the EMT program (which has a lot more students) is only at about a 92% pass rate right now for that time period. I don't want you to think I have the perfect solution, because it ultimately comes down to individual students.

That said,

The best advice I can give is for your son to have a positive attitude about the test. It sounds silly, but walking into that test thinking you will fail is one of the easiest ways to realize your fears. I recommend using our website and taking about 300 questions in each of the 5 primary categories. When you get a question wrong, research it. Use Wikipedia, textbooks, etc. Don't rely on a single textbook. This builds the knowledge quickest in the weakest areas.

Once he see's consistent scores in the mid to upper 80%'s he can be confident to go take the test. There is not magic bullet for the test. Have him read all the info about the test that he can dig up on the NREMT website. They don't make a secret of how it works. We also have good info on our NREMT Test link that is found on the right hand side of our home page.

Have him send me a help desk ticket and I'll be glad to do a phone consult with him and just talk about it all if he wants.

Scott
Support Tech